Re: Drop shadows on a .JPG

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:26:20 -0400
 To:  "Write Now,
Inc." <writer(at)jlc.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
The drop shadow is created in Photoshop using layers. In this
example, the background layer is white.

1. Open your graphic in Photoshop and determine its size (Image/Image Size).

2. Create a new Photoshop document, about 20 pixels larger than the
first document, with a white background (Contents = white): e.g., if
your first document was 200 x 300, make this new document 220 x 320.

3. Drag the first document onto the white background. You now have a
2-layered document, with the white background layer larger than the
graphic. The drop shadow will fall on this white background.

4. Position the graphic so that the white border is sufficient for
the shadow: e.g., if the shadow will be down and to the right,
position the graphic up and to the left.

5. Photoshop 5 has built-in drop shadow capability: Layer
menu/Effects/Drop Shadow. Adjust the parameters according to your
preferences.

6. Note that the white background will blend in with the white
background of the web page when this new graphic is placed. Of
course, if your web page has a different color background, you'll
have to use another color when creating the drop-shadow graphic.

That's it, or at least one of the ways to do it.

--Jeff